Tuesday, March 2, 2010

Here comes the eggs again



"Hon! come look at this one!  Look at that color!"  My husband is obsessed with the eggs. Almost as obsessed as I am with my after-school dog walk (I've been known to literally step over dog puke on my way out the door.) 
But who can blame the guy?  We decided against artifically lighting them this year, and our ladies are a few years old, so they stopped laying all together in late fall.  But in mid-January, they started up again.  They aren't quite at full production yet, but what they lack in quantity they are making up for in perky, bright orange-yolked amazingness.  Oh, they are beautiful. 
I asked the hen whisperers if eggs are really better quality after the hens have had a rest, and the answer is sadly, but believably, no.  They are the same old eggs we were getting before they took their break. (Maybe the shells are a bit thicker than during full production, when they can't take in enough calcium to keep up with the daily egg production.) It is just that we've missed them so.  And it seems like a little sign of spring, proof that the days really are getting longer.

No comments: